Sunday, March 01, 2009

Hong Kong Dec 08 - Part I

We arrived at Hong Kong from Macau on the afternoon of Christmas eve, and it was straight to checking in at Metropark Hotel. Now this is one hotel I would really recommend. Nothing glamourous about it, but super convenient and very practical. Check out the picture I ripped from the internet:


We've stayed here before back in 2005 and still loved it.
Rooms are spacious.. even after we messed it up.




Did I mention that the view was great?


Especially at night?
The view you see is actually Victoria Park and Victoria Harbour in the foreground; and Tsim Sha Tsui in the background. One probably cannot get a better view unless it's from the top of Victoria Peak.



From the room, if I were to point the camera downwards, we'll see Causeway Bay Sports Ground. That was where I jogged every other morning for about 4km.


Every alternate morning, I'll hit the threadmill in the gym as well as the sauna. If I did not, I really can't imagine the weight I'ld have put on in Hong Kong. After all, half the time is spent eating!



See the fatso with the double chin? Yup, that's me!


The only advantage 'feeling fat' is you probably won't be too intimidated by Bruce Lee. Honestly, I did not expect him to be so.. small. I'm sure he's quick and strong, but Hey, I'm well insulated.


Anyways, Victoria Park plays host to the annual Hong Kong Brands And Products Expo around the end of the year. We had some time between dinner and midnight mass so we went for a stroll through the fair.



It sure was one big crowded affair. Strangely, I don't only see Hong Kong products being displayed.

Amongst others, there were also instant Singapore Chilli and Black Pepper Crab paste.



And guess what? Klang Bak Kut Teh! *faint*


From Victoria Park it was a short walk to Christ The King Chapel for midnight mass. Somehow the priest that night reminded me of a Causeway Bay gu huo zhai. Priest by day; gangster by night. How cool! We were late but one kind old lady offered to share the front pew with us so we actually got a seat in front of the scene of the nativity. While we were saying our personal prayers during Communion, little children would come up to the figurines of the Holy Family and say their own little prayers.

The purity and innocence of little children in a huge metropolitan city. Very touching!

3 comments:

Eryn said...

Hey. I also stayed at that hotel before. Lovely hotel with free shuttle. Hehehe.

I didn't know Victoria Park changed so much. Else I would go again that day. Huhu.

Justin Ho said...

What a cool coincidence! But, i had no idea they had shuttle busses.

Actually I've never really explored Victoria Park. One day I will. Only see a lot of Filipina maids there on weekends

sanball said...

Yeah yeah.. macham Lucky Plaza on Sundays. haha