Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Film Malaysia May Never Get To See

What a day! Early in the morning, we (me, Daisy and Sanball) went for a session of badminton with some friends. We ended early, showered and set off to the Picturehouse to catch the 1.15pm screening of Muallaf.
By the time we got there, it was already 12.50pm and we were hungry; not to mention thirsty. So we chop chop grabbed something to makan at the basement. I've checked with the lady at the ticketing counter and the actual screening would begin at 1.20pm but by the time we entered the theater, it was already 1.25pm. The tiny theater was already full and as with all late comers, we had to almost climb over those sitting at the aisles to get to our seats. I remember saying sorry to a bunch of Malay girls in the darkness.
I've never done a movie review on my blog before and I won't start. But sufice to say, we enjoyed the show. It had a good story, was well paced, had slapstick scenes so crappy they you can't help laughing out loud and then there were scenes that were impactful, powerful and compelling. Being a Yasmin Ahmad movie, it obviously deals with relationships in a multi-racial, multi-religious, differing-socio-economical-political, mumbojumbo kinda setting. In a nutshell, a movie you'ld wanna watch, but Malaysia won't let you see.

Have I mentioned that I like Yeo Yann Yann? Well, she had what seemed like 5 to 6 minutes worth of screen time in a cameo appearance. Sigh. Oh and she did not appear for the screening as I had hoped.

Cos' by the time the credits rolled and the downlights came on, I looked around but did not see Yann Yann anywhere in the 'crowd' of 30 or so people in the theater. But when I looked to my right, I saw that the bunch of Malay girls we almost trampled over to get to our seats, were the stars of the show! Me, Daisy and Sanball just gasped and shared that startled look. As we looked around the room, there was Brian the lead guy at one corner at the back, and that was Brother Anthony over there.. and isn't that Yasmin Ahmad? We were really like.. Wow! The last time I went for a festival film screening, only the director showed up and nobody really bothered with him cos' the movie sucked big time. Heck, I can't even remember the title of that Japanese film.

So we adjourned to a lounge room and had a proper Q&A session with the people who made the movie.

People had so many questions for Yasmin, and she patiently answered all of the questions with eager excitedness. She even answered a few of my own questions but kinda siamed when I asked her about the prevailing theme of the inconvenient MalayMuslimGirl-NonMuslimChineseBoy love affair in her movies. Anyways, based on this one encounter with her, my impression of her is that she's this super widely read, watched and listened-to siao zharbo who has a great passion of telling stories and opinions that are close to her heart and in her mind. An amazing person.

Yasmin Ahmad

We even had the chance to take pictures with Brian Yap and Sharifah Aleysha. If I had stepped on her feet at the aisles, then she must have forgiven me cos' she was flashing her shy angelic smile the whole time.

Brian Yap and Sharifah Aleysha

Yup, even Sharifah Amani aka Rohani aka Orked was there. She looked like a little kid! It's been years since Sepet and she looked even younger than she did back then. Honestly, she's 25 but doesn't look a year older than her sister Sharifah Aleysha who is 15.

When I asked Orked, "Where's Jason?" She said "Oh, Jason* dah lama hilang la, dah kahwin dah. Now I'm with Brian. Oops!"

Sharifah Amani

Now that we've met Orked in real life, it's time to pop that Sepet DVD in the player and watched it again.


*Jason is the love interest of Orked in Sepet and I think the 'Jason' guy designed that poster for Muallaf

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha.. i likey Sepet too.. wanna meet orked!

- J

Justin Ho said...

Hey -J,

I think u can still catch them for the 1pm show Sunday. Do check if you can get seats still.. :-)

fu onn said...

orked chio le.. weird name though

Justin Ho said...

haha.. glamour lah the name..

SHARIFAH AMANI.. a bit like Georgio Armani!

shio said...

oh shucks i am so so jealousness u met them!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://girynufe.lookseekpages.com/borofuha.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real income.
It's all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]